What does a startup job look like? Startups are fast-paced, intense, and innovative. Startup culture is a lot different from traditional corporate culture. The hours are long and you’ll be expected to work on multiple projects simultaneously. It’s not for the faint of heart, but it can also be incredibly rewarding.
As a startup employee, you’re going to have plenty of responsibilities. To work at a startup, you must be willing to learn and adapt quickly. In startups, there isn’t always an established process and structure for everything. There is no such thing as a 9-to-5 job in startups because most people are working on something until they finish it or go home. You’ll never know what day it is, will you?
Recommended reading in case you are going for a job interview, here are: “4 Job Interview Tips” to help you blast the interview and get that dream job.
Here are 22 things you should know about startups before applying.
- Qualities of a Startup Jobs Employee
- Startup employees are expected to be self-starters
- A startup life is not for everyone
- There’s no such thing as a 9-to-5 job
- You have to be willing to learn new things quickly and faster than everyone else
- Your personal time doesn’t exist – Time management is key
- You’re going to work on something until you finish it
- Smartphone addiction can be an issue
- Startups are unpredictable
- You should know that the startup life is hard
- Get used to working long hours
- Working late at night and on weekends
- The best parts of a startup job are when you’re collaborating with others – You’re going
- to be working on a team of people with different skills
- Being more creative than anyone else and keep a healthy work-life balance
- Promotion likely not guaranteed; You’ll have to prove yourself again
- You have no idea what your day is going to be like
- You need to be able to work under pressure
- Learn how to work remotely and stay productive while working from home
- Learn about the company culture
- Find a good balance between living and working
- Understand that you’re not getting paid for vacation time.
Having a startup job may sound like the best thing ever, but it’s not all fun and games. If you are considering taking on a startup job, or if you already have one, ensure you keep in mind the above stated 22 things. You should be prepared for what’s really involved. After reading this post, I believed you now have a better understanding of what it means to have a startup job.
You’ve got two options when it comes to your next job: the corporate cubicle farm or the startup. The former is safe and stable, but will you be fulfilled? You have seen what a startup job look like from the above reading.
If you’re considering doing something different, taking on more responsibility with less stability in exchange for greater ownership of your life, then you should probably know what you’re getting into. This post has shown to you some experiences to think about before making the jump to a startup job.
If you plan on starting a startup of your own then, you will find the below links useful:
- Startups – Definitive Guide
- What is Startups
- Why Are Startups Important?
- Advantages of Startups | Disadvantages of Startups
- What is the Best Way to Generate Leads for a Startup?
- 5 Types of Business Startups
- Top 4 Startups in Nigeria
You can also work with Gabriel Domale Consulting – A Trusted Business Partner to help start, grow and scale your startup.
If you enjoy reading this post, please, share it with your family and friends and drop your comment in the comments section, because I want to hear from you. Thanks!